Thursday, June 20, 2013

Fat Kid Rules the World

Fat Kid Rules the World


By: K.L. Going
Reviewer: XO/Wizard_P3P, 16
Rating: Really liked it


Have you ever had a dream you felt you could never reach? Sometimes its a mental barrier, but other times its a matter of physical ability. K.L. Going, author of "Fat Kid Rules the World," attempts to demonstrate the disastrous effects of not believing in yourself. She does a splendid job at building up characters and relationships, as well as scenarios. The plot is also engaging and fun to read.

One thing that I appreciate is when authors spend the time to create a character that is not only relatable, but is fleshed out with a full background. Character development is, I think, vital to the literary experience. And Going manages to meet and exceed my expectations. Throughout the whole book I found myself rooting for Troy to the very end. I also enjoyed the opportunity to observe his thoughts and complex relationships with his family, friends, and the rest of society. It was extremely entertaining to see the world as he (a 200 pound, 17 year old male) did.

I can honestly say this is one of the better books I have read this summer. There were two minor annoyances I had with it, but its obvious the author purposefully added them. My biggest gripe with it was that he kept putting himself down just because he was overweight. Also, the ending left me wanting closure.

K.L. Going outdid herself with "Fat Kid Rules the World." The amount of personality each character is dripping with is astounding and makes for a deeply satisfying read. My only issues were with the direction of the plot. I highly recommend this book to anyone who doesn't mind trotting through the murky waters of depression and the obscene thoughts of a 300 pound, 17 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment