Thursday, August 1, 2013

Carrie

Carrie


By: Stephen King
Reviewer: Victor, 15
Rating: Loved it!


When a girl with telekinetic powers is angered, it is best to get out of their path. A story of betrayal, revenge, and coming of age. Before I get into the details of this marvelous read, I feel inclined to explain that this was the first Stephen King book I've read. I knew about him and had occasionally seen some of his book adaptions such as It and Pet Cemetery but hadn't thought of reading them. Coincidentally, I had read one of his son's (Joe Hill) books: Horns.(Movie coming this year starring Danial Radcliffe) And decided to give it a shot. Instead of reading his books in random order, I decided to read them in order of publication. Carrie is his first published novel but fourth written.

I shall now begin with Carrie: Carrie is a novel so it is written in many parts. Pretty much The Background, The Prom, and The Aftermath. After reading more of Mr. King's books, I have come to realized that the first two parts are mostly always the slowest. In this book, the beginning is a bit slow but because of the style it is written in, it keeps the reader engaged. It has the story told from different characters depending on the chapter, the character's thoughts in parenthesis (very ingenious), and newspaper articles or book excerpts from text written after the events of the story.

After the first part, the book picks up and when the inevitable begins to happen, the reader is left open mouthed. The Climax is amazing and written in a very unique way! Overall, I enjoyed this book very much and would recommend it to anyone interested in the paranormal, revenge, or ingenious writing style.

No comments:

Post a Comment